10 IRREFUTABLE evidence that GMO can harm you!
Nature is a living organism that functions through every cell and organ. There is nothing isolated in nature and everything is connected with one another. All these years, science has been trying to discover and explore complexity that exists in nature. However even the most advanced 3D engineering modeling and analysis cannot fully understand all the parameters and complexities that exists within the universe and sometimes the results aren’t even half close to the reality. Although technology, industrialization and innovation have been revolutionary in our lives, at the same time they have resulted in dysfunction, scarcity and even destruction of our planet. In the last few decades, one of the crisis that our planet has been facing is modern agricultural. Extensive farming, the use of pesticides, herbicides, chemical fertilizers, genetically modified foods or crops and invention of hormones and antibiotic have drastically changed the way we used to eat.
Only 3% of US farm lands are planted with fruits and vegetables while 50% of farms are used for planting soy and corn. Even farmers treat what they plant as a commodity rather than food. With the anti-GMO labeling policies in America, there is no way to know whether or not, the foods that you are buying are genetically modified.
In the last three decades, industrialized agriculture, biotechnology and extensive use of pesticides, herbicides and chemical fertilizers have resulted in a nutrient-deficient soil. The plants don't get enough nutrinets from soil and they lack essential vitamins and minerals for our bodies.
Environmental & Health Impact of GMO Seeds and Crops
Studies and research shows that soil microorganisms are very essential for soil fertility. Over 100 million microorganism and over 1000 species live in one gram of productive soil. Without these microorganisms including fungi, bacteria, algae and insects, plants wouldn’t obtain essential nutrition for growth.
In genetic engineering, a number of different genes are inserted into the recipient organism. Many scientists are concerned that GMOs could contaminate the wild plants with the new genes and that could result in production of widely spread viruses. GMO crops could be a danger to flies, insects, birds and other animals and could be a threat to crop diversity.
Here are actual cases of GMO’s harm to humans and livestock (that we eat):1. There have been numerous cases where animals have died or became serious ill and were put down in order to avoid mass contamination or to calm down the panic that would have caused even more damage to the food industry. In Hesse, Germany many cows died suddenly when they were fed with Syngenta’s genetically engineered maize cow food and as a result of this incident the authorities in Germany decided to slaughter the rest of the cows to avoid having the mysterious disease to get out and contaminate other cattle houses. Syngenta did admit that the protein used for the cow food maize is also used for human genetically engineered foods. Oh dear, why has Syngenta now withdrawn this protein from human genetically engineered foods? Let’s ask FDA.
- Syngenta Charged for Covering up Livestock Deaths from GM Corn
- Doctors Warn: Avoid Genetically Modified Food2. Why should you be concerned that cows eating GMO foods died and/or got contaminated with a mysterious disease? Because, if you eat meat or chicken that is contaminated as a result of a GMO with re-engineered DNA that is contaminated with a pathogen, then the DNA genes contaminate your cells and are also harmful to you. These DNA genes can be INSERTED into your own genes.
- Genetically Engineered Food Alters Our Digestive Systems
- Assessing Survival of Transgenic Plant DNA in the Human Gastrointestinal Tract
- DNA from GE foods can end up in your genes
3. Roundup Ready Soy was given to mother rats as food during a study and it was discovered that 53% of the babies born died within a couple of weeks, about 10 times worse than normal. The biochemical form and structure of rats are very similar to human which is why they are used so often for studies to protect humans against various diseases. So the study should be of a major concern to FDA and other authorities that are concerned with health impediments of GMO’s. What should be even more concerning to FDA is that the GMO soy beans given to these rats caused serious disturbances to the liver by changing the cellular function of the liver and the cell nucleus, which may cause serious changes to the way our body operates at the biological level. Who knows how far this may go – may be in a few years of nucleus changes, men will even get pregnant since some already are growing breasts due to consumption of hormones.
- Mother Rats Fed Genetically Modified Soy Led to 56% Mortality of Offspring
- Biological Effects of Transgenic Maize Fed Long Term to Mice
- Genetically Modified Soy Linked to Sterility, Infant Mortality
4. If you don’t eat beef or don’t much care about rats, then do you like lamb? When was the last time you had lamb kobabs or lamps cutlets? Nearly 2,000 sheep have died after grazing on GMO cotton crops and were found to have server toxicity and inflammation of intestines and the same toxin exists in GMO foods intended for future release to people, starting in Asia and Africa.
- Mortality in Sheep Flocks after Grazing on Bt Cotton FieldsWarangal District, Andhra Pradesh" Report of the Preliminary Assessment, April 20065. In United States gastrointestinal diseases (chronic and acute) have increased dramatically since mid 90s and this has been linked to GMO foods given to sheep. In Sweden, where no GMO foods are allowed for humans or cattle, there has been no change whatsoever. Scientists are still researching the inflammation causes to the intestine and the study will take another 2 years to complete, while GMO foods are still being given to sheep in US.
- Liver Damage Caused by GM Food
- How Genetically Modified Foods Lead to Inflammatory Bowel Disease
6. In UK, GMO soy was put through a thorough test on a group of students at Sheffield University, half on GMO soy and the other on non-GMO soy and the research was conducted with all other parameters being equal, e.g. water consumption, diet size, environmental factors, etc. By the end of the research the GMO soy fed subjects were experiencing some allergies with 50% of them experiencing long term allergies - compared to no GMO soy fed subjects.
7. In laboratory tests, again and again, animals avoided GMO foods compared to non-GMO equivalent. Should we trust the instincts of animals that live based on their instincts?
8. Argentina has been one of the first countries to convert half of their arable land to GMO food production and are now the country with a major serious agricultural nightmare which has resulted in more than 20,000 farmers losing their land and livelihoods to superweeds that have destroyed the soil and is now a major agricultural crises in the world.
In India every 30 minutes, one farmer commits suicide because of devastating side effects of genetically modified organisms.
9. Scientists and Genetic Engineers themselves (if not coerced nor threatened with unemployment – or worse) tell us that GMO as used in crop development is not precise or predictable and has not been shown to be safe. The technique can result in the unexpected production of toxins or allergens in food that are unlikely to be spotted in current regulatory checks.
10. The scariest of them all – the authorities (FDA and others) as well as food corporations protest profusely to any kind of labeling of GMO foods. I don’t know about you, but that certainly concerns me that they would be so adamantly against labeling and so vehemently fighting against it – as if they have nothing better to do. Why are they so much against it? What is wrong with labeling or essentially saying, “… some foods are GMO and we (FDA) as well as our partners (Food Companies) don’t think there is anything wrong with them, but for the informed consumers’ choice and for fairness, we decided to include it in the labeling”. The fact that they assume that they know best and that they are the informed, logical, and trustworthy entity and us the people, who want labeling, are ignorant, fearful, and paranoid - tells me that they are hiding something. Why not be open and truthful and let people decide if they want GMO in their food or not? In a free country, should we not have the choice to eat GMO-free foods if we want?
- Long term toxicity of a Roundup herbicide and a Roundup-tolerant genetically modified maize
- Why genetically engineered food is dangerous: New report by genetic engineers
- Open Letter from World Scientists to All Governments Concerning Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)