Herbs & Spices
In this section of Seattle Organic Restaurants, I'm going to talk about advantages of herbs and spices. We all have the best intensions to eat healthy foods, but sometimes changing your eating habits could be a difficult task because of our busy lifestyle. But you can simply change a few eating habits to ensure that your body is getting critical nutrients. Adding herbs and spices to your food is the best way to cut sugar and salt in your diet intake.
Without increasing calories to your food, you can add herbs and spices and take advantage of all their medicinal benefits, as well as their flavor. Spices in particular are nutrient dense and have thermogenic properties, meaning that they naturally increase your body's metabolism which can ultimately increase the body's fat burning ability. Adding spices also has the extra advantage of allowing you to reduce or even eliminate adding salt for taste. Some of the best herbs and spices are listed below:
1. Cinnamon. Studies suggest that cinnamon may improve blood-glucose levels by increasing a person's insulin sensitivity and can significantly lower blood-glucose levels. Other studies have also suggested that cinnamon can improve blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Cinnamon and cayenne pepper are both known for their obesity-fighting capabilities.
2. Rosemary. Helps relieving abdominal pain, insomnia, and can calm your nerves. It has also great anti-inflammatory powers.
3. Oregano. Oregano has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal punch, offers potent antioxidant thymol and acid called rosmarinic, and is a natural source of Omega-3 fatty acids.
4. Basil. Basil has anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting properties. This effect stems from eugenol, a volatile oil in basil that blocks enzymes in the body that cause swelling, making basil an ideal treatment for people with arthritis.
5. Cayenne. Cayenne pepper is quite remarkable. It offers, anti-irritant, anti-inflammatory, anti-cold/flu agent, anti-fungal, and anti-allergen properties. It also helps to reduce migraine headaches and helps body's digestive system. It prevents and treats blood clots while detoxing the body and supporting weight loss and it should be part of your regular diet.
6. Turmeric. Turmeric has cancer fighting power. In conclusion, turmeric, basil, cinnamon, thyme, saffron, and ginger are known for their immune-boosting properties. Keep in mind that garlic, mustard seed and chicory are known for their heart-pumping power. Coriander and cinnamon are knonw for their sugar regulating properties. Pregnant women should consult with their doctors for consumption of the above herbs and spices.